List of Top Shipping Companies in India
1. Great Eastern Shipping
- The Great Eastern Shipping Company Limited is India’s largest private sector shipping company which mainly transports liquid, gas and solid bulk products.
- The company has two main business: shipping and offshore. The shipping business is involved in transportation of crude oil, petroleum products, gas and dry bulk commodities.
- The offshore business; services the oil companies in carrying out offshore exploration and production activities through its wholly owned subsidiary Greatship (India) Limited.
- The shipping business has been awarded the ISO 9001: 2000 standard certification by DNV.
HEAD QUARTERS: Worli, Mumbai, Maharashtra
YEAR FOUNDED: 1948
REVENUE: 22.45 billion (US$360 million)
2. Gujarat Pipavav Port
- Port Pipavav is managed and operated by APM Terminals, the ports and terminals company of the maritime giant, the A.P. Moller-Maersk Group.
- APM Terminals is one of the largest container terminal operators in the world and offers the global shipping community an integrated Global Terminal Network of 56 ports and 154 inland facilities in 63 countries.
- With a presence in every major market, APM Terminals serves all major trade lanes providing our customers with the most advanced terminal technology, equipment and operations in the industry.
- It has two facilities in India currently – India’s largest and most successful container terminal, APM Terminals Mumbai ( earlier known as Gateway Terminals India), in JNPT at Nhava Sheva, Mumbai; and Port Pipavav in Gujarat.
- Port Pipavav, a successful public-private enterprise, is emerging as an important gateway port on the West Coast of India for containers, bulk and liquid cargo. Located just 152 nautical miles from Nhava Sheva in Mumbai or 10 hours steaming time, Port Pipavav provides excellent access to the main shipping lines as well as to the cargo belt in the northwestern region of India.
- cargo facilities
- support infrastructure
- maritime services
- document & tariffs
HEAD QUARTERS: Pipavav, Gujarat
YEAR FOUNDED: 1996
3. Shipping Corporation of India
- The Shipping Corporation of India was established on October 2nd, 1961, by the amalgamation of Eastern Shipping Corporation and Western Shipping Corporation.
- Starting out as a marginal Liner shipping Company with just 19 vessels, the SCI has today evolved into the largest Indian shipping Company.
- The SCI also has substantial interests in various segments of the shipping trade.
SCI’s owned fleet includes Bulk carriers, Crude oil tankers, Product tankers, Container vessels, Passenger-cum-Cargo vessels, Phosphoric Acid / Chemical carriers, LPG / Ammonia carriers and Offshore Supply Vessels. Sailing through for nearly five decades, the SCI today has a significant presence on the global maritime map.
- As the country’s premier shipping line, the SCI owns and operates around one-third of the Indian tonnage, and has operating interests in practically all areas of the shipping business; servicing both national and international trades.
- Bulk Carriers
- Shipbuilding Consultancy
- Business Development & Alliances
- Passenger Services
- Break Bulk
HEAD QUARTERS: Madame Cama Road, Mumbai
YEAR FOUNDED: 1961
REVENUE: 39026.9 million (US$630 million)
4. Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering Company Limited
- Pipavav Shipyard Limited (PSL) came out with an Initial Public Offering in Sept 2009 and was listed on October 09, 2009 on Bombay Stock Exchange Limited (“BSE”) and the National Stock Exchange of India Ltd (“NSE”).
- On June 1, 2010, Honourable Prime Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh, dedicated Pipavav Shipyard to the nation.
- On October 6, 2010, the Secretariat for Industrial Assistance, Ministry of Industry, Government of India (“SIA”) granted Industrial Licence to the Company, allowing it to build inter alia Strategic/Defence Vessels.
- Later, PSL changed its name to Pipavav Defence & Offshore Engineering Co. Ltd. (PDOECL) to emphasize its focus on defence shipbuilding and offshore activities, and a fresh Certificate of Incorporation was issued on June 27, 2011.
- On November 21, 2011, the company delivered its first Panamax bulk carrier of 74,500 DWT to its international customers.
- This was the largest vessel of its class ever built in India till that date.
- The same year, PDOC became the first ever Indian Private Sector defence firm to be awarded a contract from the Indian Ministry of Defence (MoD), to build 5 Naval Offshore Patrol Vessels (NOPVs) for the Indian Navy.
- Pipavav shipyard having a large facilities and infrastructure to construction and repair of Naval ships, War ships, Bulk Carriers, Cargo ships, offshore supply vessels, Mobile Offshore Drilling units, floating production, storage and offloading(FPSO) units, barges, Oil tankers, product tankers, Yachts, Dredgers, Tugboat, Crane vessels, offshore patrol vessel, Pressure vessels, Container Ships, Cable layer,
- Wind turbines, Samson and Goliath (cranes), Floating dry docks and Pipe-laying ships
- Conversion of one Ship/Offshore Platform into other Ship/Offshore Platform.
HEAD QUARTERS: Mumbai
YEAR FOUNDED: 1997
REVENUE: 8.67 billion (US$140 million) (2011)
5. Essar Shipping
- Essar Shipping is an integrated logistics solution provider with investments in logistics services, sea transportation and oilfield drilling services.
- Essar’s logistics business provides end-to-end logistics services – from ships to ports, lighterage services to plants, intra-plant logistics and dispatching finished products to the final customer.
- We own transshipment assets to provide lighterage support services, and onshore and offshore logistics services.
- We also manage a fleet of 5,000 trucks for the inland transportation of steel and petroleum products.
- The sea transportation business has a diversified fleet of 27 vessels including VLCCs, mini-bulk carriers, Supramaxes, tugs and cape-sizes to provide crude oil and product transportation services.
- We have more than 220 ship years serving leading Indian and global oil majors and commodity traders and a combined tonnage of over 1.4 million.
- We currently have an order book of 12 new building vessels.
HEAD QUARTERS: Mumbai
YEAR FOUNDED: 1945
REVENUE: 12.15 billion (US$200 million) (2010-2011)
6. GOL Offshore
- GOL Offshore is India’s prominent integrated offshore oilfield services provider offering a broad spectrum of services to upstream oil and gas producers to carry out offshore exploration and production (E&P) activities.
- From drilling services to marine and air logistics, from marine construction to port/terminal services and beyond, GOL Offshore meets a wide gamut of the offshore requirements of an E&P operator.
- Since inception in 1983, GOL Offshore has serviced major E&P operators in India as well as in the international waters of the North Sea, the Middle East, South Africa and South East Asia with its state-of-the-art vessels that include exploratory rigs, offshore support vessels, anchor handling tug supply vessels and a construction barge.
- We also provide port and terminal support services through a fleet of harbour tugs.
HEAD QUARTERS: Mumbai
YEAR FOUNDED: 1983
7. ABG Shipyard Ltd
- ABG Shipyard Ltd., the flagship company of ABG group was incorporated in the year 1985 as Magdalla Shipyard Pvt. Ltd. with the main objects of carrying Shipbuilding and Ship Repair business.
- In a span of 15 years from the year 1991, the company has achieved the status of the largest private sector shipbuilding yard in India with satisfied customer base all around the world.
- The registered office and the yard are situated at Surat in the state of Gujarat and the corporate office is in Mumbai.
- Our Shipyard has state of the art, manufacturing facilities including a “Ship-lift Facility” with a lift capacity of 4500 tons, side transfer facilities, CNC plasma cutting machine, Bending rolls, Hydraulic press, Cold shearing machine, Frame bending machine and steel processing machinery.
- The Shipyard also has blasting shop and fabrication shop covered in 4 bays of 150 x 30 M each equipped with 20T EOT Cranes.
- The manufacturing process is in line with world-class standards and the Yard is certified by DNV for ISO 9001:2008.
- ABG Shipyard builds a range of commercial vessels. These incldue self-loading and self-discharging bulk carriers, container ships, floating cranes, split barges, anchor handling tugs, dynamic positioning ships, offshore supply vessels and diving support vessels.
- ABG was granted clearance from the Government of India to build warships and various other vessels for the Indian Navy.
- It was the second corporate shipyard to receive this licence after Pipavav Shipyard.
- During past decade, the Shipyard has constructed and delivered One Hundred four(104) Vessels including Specialized and Sophisticated vessels like Interceptor Boats, Self Loading and Discharging Bulk Cement Carriers, Floating Cranes, Articouple Tugs and Flotilla, Split Barges, Bulk Carriers, Newsprint Carriers, Offshore Supply Vessels, Dynamic Positioning Ships, Anchor Handling Tug Supply Vessels,
- Multi-purpose Support Vessel, Diving Support Vessels, etc. for leading companies in India and abroad.
HEAD QUARTERS: Ahmedabad
YEAR FOUNDED: 1985
8. Global Offshore Services Ltd
- Global Offshore Services Ltd.was promoted by the Late Padma Bhushan Shri B. D. Garware, Founder of The Garware Group of Companies.
- In view of the increased global presence of the Company’s Fleet, the Company’s name has been changed to Global Offshore Services Ltd. w.e.f. March 2011.
- The Company was incorporated as Garware Shipping Corporation Limited on September 20, 1976.
- In the state of Maharashtra and obtained the Certificate of Commencement of Business on October 13, 1976.
- The Company’s vessels support the Oil and Gas Exploration efforts and are presently employed with various E & P companies.
- The Company’s Platform Supply Vessels are deployed in India, the North Sea, Brazil and West Africa.
- The Company’s AHTSV’s are deployed in Indian and Asean waters.
- The Company’s Barge is deployed in Africa.
The main functions of these vessels are:
- Transport of personnel to rigs / platforms from onshore bases and Vice-Versa.
- Delivery of cargo / material to rigs / platforms
- Anchor handling operations
- Towing of rigs from one location to another.
- Support to offshore / underwater construction projects.
YEAR FOUNDED: 1976
9. Bharati Shipyard Limited (BSL)
- Bharati Shipyard Limiteda leading Indian private sector shipyard is engaged in design and construction of Sea-going, Coastal, Harbour, Inland crafts and vessels.
- The product range which initially was limited to simple inland cargo barges, deep-sea trawlers and dredgers has now been upgraded to building maneuverable and power-packed Ocean Going Tractor Tugs, Cargo Ships, Tankers and other support vessels required for the offshore industry.
- The company has pioneered in the building of various types of ships and provided ship repair services in the private sector from its shipyards located at Ratnagiri and Ghodbunder (Thane), along India ‘s West coast.
- It operates shipbuilding facilities in Ratnagiri, Dabhol, Mangalore and Kolkata.
- It has structural quality assurance facilities at Ghodbunder Road in Thane district.
- Its subsidiary, Pinky Shipyard, has shipbuilding facilities in Goa.
- Its subsidiary, Tebma Shipyard, has shipbuilding facilities in Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- BSL’s Dabhol yard is one of the largest in India, spread over 300 acre.
- In 2007, BSL bought the entire equipment and infrastructure, of bankrupt British shipyard Swan Hunter.
- The infrastructure, including the iconic cranes and the floating dock, was dismantled, transported to India, and installed at BSL’s Dabhol yard.
HEAD QUARTERS: Mumbai
YEAR FOUNDED: 1973
REVENUE: 13.52 billion (US$220 million) (2010)
10. Varun Shipping Company Ltd
- Varun is a private sector shipping company in India. With its diversified fleet of 18 vessels, in the LPG and crude oil sectors, it provides a comprehensive shipping solution across the entire hydrocarbon product chain to its valued customers.
- It also provides its services in the offshore support sector. The company has a diversified and well established base of customers, including Indian Public Sector Undertakings and international charterers.
- In April 2006, the company was honoured with the prestigious award of “The Fastest Expanding Indian Shipping Company”, by the National Maritime Day Celebrations Committee formed by The Directorate General of Shipping, Government of India.
- Varun has a highly professional and well qualified team of management in the areas of technical and commercial operations, finance, secretarial, legal, information technology and human resources.
- Varun owns/operates a fleet of 18 vessels, comprising 9 LPG carriers, 3 crude oil tankers and 5 anchor handling towing and supply (AHTS) vessels.
- With its well diversified fleet, Varun is able to offer comprehensive transportation and support solutions to its valued customers, across the entire hydrocarbon value chain.
- With LPG carrier fleet presently owned and operated by Varun Group is the largest in India in terms of both fleet size and cargo carrying capacity.
- Globally, in the fully refrigerated LPG carriers category, Varun together with its associates is the fifth largest owner in terms of fully refrigerated LPG carriers and seventh largest in terms of cargo carrying capacity under 10,000+ CBM category.
- Varun owns three large, modern and powerful AHTS vessels with the highest bollard pull under Indian flag.
- It has established a leadership position in the large AHTS sector in the Asian region.
- Varun is the first Indian company to operate large AHTS vessel in the North Sea.
HEAD QUARTERS: Mumbai
YEAR FOUNDED: 1971