Top Hotel Management Institutes in India
We examined the most prestigious Hotel Management Institutes to find the best of the best.
LOCATION: Dadar West,Mumbai
- The Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, Mumbai, the first of its kind in South East Asia was founded in the year 1954 by the All India Women’s Central Food Council under the leadership of Late Smt. Lilavati Munshi.
- The purpose was to improve the nutritional status of the average from a high cereal diet to a more balanced diet.
- The critical factor however was to find trained personnel to run these Annapoornas on a self-financing basis. Hence the birth of the training Institute – IHM Mumbai.
- Hotel Management and Catering Technology was still a young discipline in those days even in the West, in fact, the school of Hotel Administration of Cornell University bifurcated from the Department of Home Economics as a separate faculty only in 1954.
- The Late Shri P C Rajpal deputed from Tea Board of India, after undergoing a study tour of Europe and U.K. under the sponsorship of FAO was the first Principal of the Institute.
- In Mumbai, IHM (Institute of Hotel Management) is located in the heart of city i.e. Dadar.
- The college has Wi-Fi enabled campus.
- The college also has numbers of kitchens that are used for training students about preparation and cooking of multi cuisine foods.
- It also provides separate hostel facility for boys and girls.
- The college features a training restaurant wherein students get real exposure to the Hospitality Industry.
- Many of the staffs reside in the quarters provided by the college, thus students get their continuous support and guidance.
B Sc in Hospitality and Hotel Administration (NCHMCT & IGNOU)
Craftsmanship Course in Food Production and Patisserie
Craftsmanship Course in Food and Beverage Service
Certificate Course in Bartending
Certificate Course in Cookery
Certificate Course in Bakery
Food Production Department
Food & Beverage Service Department
Accommodation Operations Management
Management Studies & Other Sciences
2. Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration (WGSHA)- Manipal
LOCATION: Manipal, Karnataka
- Manipal, today, is a knowledge powerhouse and a brand name in higher education.
- Over five and half decades ago, one man, Dr Tonse Madhava Anantha Pai, had a vision which ensured that everything he did then, was consigned to posterity, making sure that generation after generation of students enjoy the fruits of his labour till eternity on this lateritic plateau.
- And the students will, forever, have one name on their lips, that of Manipal.
- Manipal University is a name to remember, not just across the length and breadth of India, but worldwide.
- The fact that students from 52 countries are studying here is a testimony to this fame.
- Fired by the desire to provide health care and other essential services to the people of this region, Dr TMA Pai transformed the plateau into what it now is.
- He turned the wilderness into a sanctuary of education.
- Manipal University believes in providing the finest in infrastructure and facilities to its students when it comes to learning and research.
- In fact some of the facilities, like the Innovation Centre, have served as a valuable ‘incubation centre’ for industry and research.
- Bachelor in Hotel Management
- Bachelor in Hotel Management (Lateral Entry)
- Diploma in Hotel Management Catering Technology
- Certificate Course in Cookery for Homemakers
- Certificate Course in Food Service and Waiting in Restaurants
MISSION, VISION, VALUES:
Be the most preferred choice of students, faculty and industry. Be in the top 10 in every discipline of education, health sciences, engineering and management.
Global leadership in human development, excellence in education and healthcare.
Execution with passion
Deputy Registrar-Academics(Health Sciences)
Director – Student Affairs
USIEF Satellite Centre
3. Institute of Hotel Management (IHM) – Delhi
CONTACT:011- 25841411, 25840147, 25842429
- IHM Pusa, one of the premier institutes of hospitality education in the country achieving milestones year after year in every sphere of education viz. academics, placement and extra curricular activities.
- The Institute is under the control of Ministry of Tourism, Government of India. The academic affairs are controlled by the National Council for Hotel Management & Catering Technology, A-34, Sector-62, Institutional Area, Noida.
- The Organization Chart of the Institute is placed at Annexure-1 indicates the hierarchy of various officers in the Institute. It also indicates the power and duties.
- The Institute follows recruitment and promotion rules designed specifically for the Institutes of Hotel Management under Department of Tourism, Government of India. In all other matters Institute follows the same rules, regulations and Manuals etc.
- As prescribed by the Central Government for the Central Civil Services Organisations. Other Rules and Regulations of the society are as contained in the rules and regulation of the society available in the office.
- M. Sc. in Hospitality Administration
- M. Sc. in Dietetics & Food Service Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Accommodation Operations & Management
- B. Sc. in Hospitality & Hotel Administration
- Diploma in Food & Beverage Service
- Diploma in Bakery & Confectionery
- Craftsmanship Course in Food Production & Patisserie
- Craftsmanship Course in Food & Beverage Service
VISION AND MISSION:
To be known globally as an institution of excellence for our idiosyncratic skill and knowledge.
- To impart required knowledge and skills in our students so they shine in their selected profession and have a successful career.
- To facilitate synergized research amongst faculty, students and industry in hospitality precincts.
- To develop bonhomie between institution and industry.
FUNCTION AND DUITIES:
Institute of Hotel Management, Catering & Nutrition, Pusa, New Delhi is an education Institute and its main functions and duties are:
- To impart theoretical and practical input to the students in the field of Hospitality Education.
- To provide trained manpower to the Hotel & Restaurant and allied Industry.
- To organize training programmes for the staff/ workforce engaged in the organized and un-organized sectors of Tourism & Hospital Industry.
- To provide technical support to the new and existing hotels & Restaurants.
- To support central and state government to accomplish their missions pertaining to Hospitality Industry from time to time.
4. Institute of Hotel Management (IHM)-Aurangabad
LOCATION: Aurangabad, Maharashtra
CONTACT: 0240–238 1113, 0240–2381127
- Institute of Hotel Management, Aurangabad, was born with the coming together of two great institutions: the internationally renowned scholar, Dr. Rafiq Zakaria’s – Maulana Azad Educational Trust and Taj Group.
- Dr. Zakaria and the Taj were determined to create a world-class centre in hospitality education, with the technical assistance of India’s largest hotel chain, with over a century’s experience in hoteliering.
- Institute of Hotel Management Catering Technology (IHM) Aurangabad was originally established by the joint hard work of the Maulana Azad Educational Trust (MAET) and the Taj Group of Hotels.
- The institute holds a unique distinction of being a member of leading hotel schools of the world (LHSW).
- It has been approved by All Indian Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and is affiliated with University of Huddersfield, UK.
- One of the flagship courses offered by the institute is B.Sc in Hospitality and Hotel Administration.
- It is a three years full time course in which students are trained with thorough knowledge about the culinary education.
- The institute also imparts various certificate courses in food production and hospitality administration.
- IHM-A’s designed and delivered courses are subject to on-going validation, awarded by University of Huddersfield, UK and renowned for the best industry, research and business management orientation.
- We have developed world class hospitality professionals with broad career progression opportunities world-wide for 25 years now.
- BA Hotel Management
- BA Culinary Arts
5. Oberoi Centre of Learning and Development- New Delhi
CONTACT:011 2389 0505
ABOUT Oberoi Centre of Learning and Development:
- We see an organization which aims at leadership in the hospitality industry by understanding its guests; designing and delivering products and services which enable it to exceed their expectations.
- We will always demonstrate care for our customers through anticipation of their needs, attention to detail, distinctive excellence, warmth and concern.
- We see a lean and responsive organization where decision making is encouraged at each level and which accepts change.
- It is committed and responsive to its guests and their stakeholders.
- We see a multi skilled workforce; which consists of team players who have pride of ownership, translating organizational vision into reality.
- We see an organization where people are nurtured through permanent learning and skill improvement; and are respected, heard, and encouraged to do their best.
- The Oberoi Group is recognized as a best practice for training and developing its people.
- The recruitment process for the OCLD post graduate Management Programmes is scheduled between September to December each year.
- Recruitment is done through campus visits to Hotel Management colleges, other graduate colleges and Open Access Days at our hotels.
- College students can contact their placement office for information of when The Oberoi Group is visiting their campus.
- Students of colleges not being visited by The Oberoi Group and other Applicants can apply on an Open Access Day.
- Life at The Oberoi Group:
- Every Oberoi employee strives to provide the best service at all times.
- It is this culture that sets us apart from our competitors.
- The qualities that make us stand out in what has become a crowded service industry are numerous
Here are a few qualities to illustrate the attributes of an Oberoi employee.
- Passion, personality and positive attitude
- Excellent spoken and written English and confidence in expression
- Good inter-personal skills
- Strong commitment to a career
- Excellence in prior education
- Above all service with a smile
- There is much work to be done for the homeless, children and disabled. We at The Oberoi Group have a host of initiatives for the community.
- The causes we work with are often directly relevant to local needs. The issues we attempt to address are diverse.
- There are many examples but some are particularly poignant.
- At Trident Gurgaon we work with the KC Mahindra Education Trust to provide opportunities for educating young girls.
- Once a week the hotel provides lunch for a school of 300 and team members from the hotel teach under privileged children at the local ‘Happy School’.
- The Oberoi, Bangalore we support the NGO, Cheshire Home, and host an annual art auction with Concern India Foundation Art to raise money for projects like child education and the provision of drinking water for remote villages in Karnataka.
6. Institute of Hotel Management (IHM)- Bangalore
CONTACT:91-80-2226 2960, 91-80-22386763
- Institute of Hotel Management (IHM), Bangalore is one of the India’s finest Hotel Management Institute.
- They committed to prepare students for a promising hospitality career.
- Their mission is to produce students at international standard together with entrepreneurial qualities.
- IHM-Bs reputation as a leader in hospitality management education is based on a tradition of academic excellence, student culture, and industry -relevance that is unequaled.
- They believe might have given a careful thought about the meaning of hotel & hospitality, which shines amongst the best performing industries in the world.
- The Council has on its Board of Governors/representatives of the Ministries/Departments of Food, Labour, Tourism, Education and also Finance of the Government of India as also representatives of hotel industry, experts, professionals and educationalists.
- Master of Science in Hospitality Administration
- B.Sc. in Hotel Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Accommodation Operations
- Certificate Course in Food Production
- Certificate Course in Food and Beverage Service
SHORT TERM COURSES:
Cookery and Bakery
For Working Women
Summer Course for College students
Senior faculty members undertake consultancy assignments for :
Facility Planning and Design
Menu Planning and Design
Recipe testing and validations
Finance and Control systems
7. Institute of Hotel Management (IHM)- Chennai
LOCATION: Tharamani,Chennai, Tamil Nadu
CONTACT:044 – 22542029
- The Institute of Hotel Management Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, Chennai was established in 1963 jointly sponsored by the Government of Tamil Nadu and the Govt. of India at national Level as one of the Pioneer Institutes in India for imparting quality training in Three Year Diploma Course in Hotel Management and Catering Technology and also in various allied Craft Certificate Courses of 6 months duration.
- The Govt. of Tamil Nadu was closely associated with the institute since its very inception.
- The entire Recurring and Capital expenditure is funded by the ministry of Tourism, Govt. of India from 1.4.79.
- The Institute has recorded rapid growth, expansion and popularity in the past 50 years with senior management level employment for the students.
- Hotel and Catering is one of the largest industries employing lakhs of people.
- Holiday makers, business travelers, overseas tourists, visitors to theme parks and leisure centers, week end breakers, all travel away from home and create demand for food, accommodation and hospitality.
- Institute of Hotel Management, Chennai has provided high quality courses in Hotel & Catering for over 50 years and has excellent links with the industry and has made a name at global and national level providing personnel for the industry both at Home and abroad.
Hotels & Restaurants
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Hospitality Administration.
- 3 year B.Sc Degree in Hospitality and Hotel, Food & Beverage Service
- Post Graduate Diploma Course in Accommodation Operation & Management
- Post Graduate Diploma Course in Dietetics & Hospital Food Services
- Certificate Course in Hotel & Catering Management
- Diploma Course in Food Production
- Diploma Course in Bakery & Confectionery
- Diploma Course in Front Office
- Diploma Course in Food and Beverage Services
AIM, OBJECTIVES, VISION, AND MISSION:
- To improve the standards of Hospitality Education keeping pace wit the Human Resource requirements of the Hospitality industry unde the guidance of Ministry of Tourism.
- To train students on all core areas of hospitality industry.
- To provide opportunities for Research and Field work in hospitality education and tourism.
- Provide trained manpower to Hospitality and Tourism industry.
Complete the curriculum of Hospitality Education and Tourism as per the standards of the National Council for Hotel Management,
- Ministry of Tourism and IGNOU.
- Facilitate students in entrepreneurship.
- Assist the Ministry of Tourism in providing a major helping hand in the operations of the Hospitality industry.
- Satisfactorily place students in other allied industries.
- Guide students interested in higher education and research in hospitality sector.
- Train students at International Standards of Hospitality Education imparting Knowledge, Skill and Attitude for providing suitable manpower in hospitality and service industry.
- Provide opportunities for Research and field work in Hospitality and Tourism.
Striving for excellence today to prepare students to succeed in the challenging world tomorrow.
8. Institute of Hotel Management (IHM)- Kolkata
LOCATION: Kolkata, West Bengal
- IAM-Institute of Hotel Management College is one of the oldest professional hospitality Institutes in the country and one of the first to be approved by AICTE.
- The main aim of the college is to provide world class education and training in hospitality management by constantly innovating and improving upon the discipline, through state of the art methods of training, meaningful research and close relations with the Industry, business and other institutions of India and abroad.
- The Institute celebrating 23 glorious years of success offers 3 year fulltime integrated Degree programme in International Hospitality Management.
- IAM Institute of Hotel Management College, Kolkata is one of the oldest professional hospitality Institutes in the country and one of the first to be approved by AICTE.
- In the year 1995, if become the first Indian Institute to be validated to deliver a degree level programme of any British University.
The Institute has a glorious past and has produced thousands of IAMites (called ‘dynamites’) who are now occupying commanding positions all over the world.
- IAM with its magnificent campuses at Kolkata, Goa & Guwahati, all with training commercial hotels or hospitality services attached to each of the campuses is the one of the largest multi-location Hotel Management College in the country.
- The Campuses are equipped with state of the art infrastructure with top class residential facilities.
- Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality Management From Edinburgh Napier University
- Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality Management (Hons) From Thames Valley University
- Diploma In Hospitality Administration
- Diploma in Hotel Management & Catering Technology
AIM OF THE COURSE:
The Course has been designed to meet a number of interrelated educational and voactional aims which can be described as following:
- To provide an educational foundation for a range of administrative and management careers in the hospitality industry.
- To develop in the student the ability to think logically, communicate clearly, and read critically.
- To create an awareness of the rapidly changing external business environment and its effect on the hospitality industry.
- To equip the student with a thorough understanding of the administrative and production skills required in the hospitality industry.
- To provide the students with an intellectual challenge inthe hospitality sector.
- To acquire skills for future management roles of various types of hospitality units, and being aware and conscious of the social responsibilities that an organisation owes to employees and clients.
- To provide skills to manage in a computerised environment and a rapidly changing IT environment and its effect in the hospitality industry.
- To develop in the students, skills and personal qualities of general importance and applicability in all aspects of working life.
9. Institute of Hotel Management (IHM)- Ahmedabad
LOCATION: Ahmedabad Bhaijipura, Gujarat
CONTACT:91-79-232 76 657 / 58
- The institute was registered as a society in 1972 in the name and style of Food Craft Institute (Ahmedabad) Society, which was changed to INSTITUTE OF HOTEL MANAGEMENT CATERING AND NUTRITION (Ahmedabad) Society consequent upon its up gradation from 1984 by Ministry of Tourism Government of India.
- With due transformation from craft course to three year diploma course by National Council for hotel Management , the institute is advancing steadily.
- Through the same transformation, the three year diploma has been upgraded to the level of degree programme and the course offered as on today Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Hospitality and Hotel Administration with an intake of 230 students along with other short courses.
- Since the academic year 2005-2006, IHMA is functioning from its new building, which is an environment friendly and earthquake resistant structure in six acres of land, IHMA now possess good infrastructure and spacious classrooms. IHMA has upgraded its infrastructure by acquiring new equipment and furniture.
- The institute with the grant in aid from Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, has equipped various departments with new equipment and furniture to enhance the efficiency, the process is still on.
- The Institute has also provided in house gymnasium facility for the students.
The vertical extension work of the hostels (for both boys and girls) is complete and has increased the total accommodation from 174 at present to 300 approximately.
- Practical Labs , Library Facilities , Teaching Aids , Health Services , Hostel facilities
B Sc in Hospitality and Hotel Administration
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES:
As indicated in MOA of the Institute given below is the brief of aims and objectives of the Institute:
- To establish and to carry on the administration and management of the Institute of Hotel Management Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition hereinafter called the ‘Institute’ whose functions shall be :-
- To provide instruction and training in all the craft and skills, in all the branches of knowledge both theoretical and applied; and all the organizational and management techniques, which are required for the efficient functioning of hotel and catering establishment of all kinds, as well as institutional feeding programs in schools, industrial establishment and similar organization
- To impart instruction and training in modern and scientific techniques of management of modern hotels and hostels
- To undertake and to associate itself with nutritional extension and development work
- To propose economy in the handling and utilization of food stuffs
- To assist in and associate itself with the efforts of the Central and State Government to popularize wholesome non cereals foods, particularly, protective foods, with a view to the diversification of the ordinary Indian diet and the enrichment of its nutritional content
- To assist in and associate itself with the attempts of food research institutions, food scientists and food technologists to find effective and acceptable means of presenting their nutritional ideas through the development of suitable recipes and the planning of menus
- In accordance with the general policy laid down by the Central Government, to prescribe course of instructions, hold examinations and grant certificates, diplomas and other awards to persons.
- To fix and demand such fees and other charges as may be laid down in the bye-laws.
- To establish, maintain and manage halls and hostels for residence of students and members of the staff
- To supervise and control the residence, to regulate the discipline of students of the Institute and to make arrangements for promoting their health, general welfare and cultural and cooperative life
- To institute teaching, administrative technical, ministerial and such other posts as may be necessary and to make appointments thereto in accordance with rules, bye-laws and any instructions / orders and guidelines issued by the Central Government, from time to time.
10. Institute of Hotel Management (IHM)- Hyderabad
LOCATION:,Vidyanagar, Hyderabad Andhra Pradesh
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology & Applied Nutrition (IHMCTAN), Hyderabad was established in 1972 as Food Craft Institute, as a registered society, under the State Technical Education Department, Sponsored by Govt. of India and Govt. of Andhra Pradesh.
- The Institute’s goal is to produce quality and well-groomed graduates for employment in hotel, tourism and services management positions at a national as well as global level.
- Students get to hone their skills and techniques on all fronts, with special emphasis on hotel operational and management skills.
Soft Skill Training
Guest Lectures by Eminent Hoteliers
Yoga training for students
- M.sc. Programme in Hospitality & Hotel Administration
- B.Sc. Programme in Hospitality & Hotel Administration
- Post Graduate Diploma in Accommodation Operations & Management
- Craftsmanship Course in Food Production
- Craftsmanship Course in Food & Beverage Service
- Various coures offered under MoTs scheme of CBSP are fully funded by Govt of India
- Institute undertakes consultancy for Industrial Canteens, Railways, Catering, Food Industries etc.
- Develops software for various hotel related applications and student learning activities.
- Undertakes outdoor catering for Government functions and other important functions as well as deputes the students to luxury hotels on request for special arrangements.
- Training of Hotel staff is another important activity.
- Food festivals and Expos relating to Hotel and allied fields are conducted.
- COMPETITIONS: The Students of the institute participate in National level and city level competitions in different spheres of Hotel Management.
- The Institute also conducts/hosts such competitions from time to time, to encourage creativity among students.
- The insitute has a placement cell, which takes care of training and placements of students of all the courses.
- A number of Hotels, Restaurants, MNCs, Call Centres and other Corporate organisations visit / invite students and conduct interviews and recruit.